Look Good in a Size 24!
The average woman weighs a minimum of 150 and wears a size 14. Today women and men that exceed this size have more choices than ever to look professional and great too. Lane Bryant, Lands End, and Sears offer variety and quality for the professional woman. For men The Big and Tall shops accommodate most men’s needs but also the Men’s Warehouse provides alternatives for large professional males.
Focusing on the basics for both men and women here are some tips to help you in selecting the right look for you.
- First and foremost the outfit needs to fit!!! If it’s too tight or too lose or big it will draw attention to your size.
- True, if you want to lose 10 lbs instantly wear dark colors such as black and navy but bring attention to your best selling feature with a bright scarf or necktie. Emphasize vertical lines such as pin stripes and princess seams.
- For women with large breasts, avoid square neck top, short sleeves and horizontal stripes that are evenly placed. Rather, focus on three quarter length sleeves, long sleeves that taper at the wrist, and long sleeved shirts.
- Wear the classics such as A-line skirts, straight skirts, blazers, pin strip suits, tailor-notched collars shirts, and double pleated skirts. As a man, you will look pounds thinner with a navy pin striped suit that is closed. Avoid peter-pan or round collar shirts.
- Avoid heavily texured fabrics such as tweeds and shiny fabrics, they only make you appear larger.
- For women wear your tops and shirts outside the skirt or pant to camouflague the stomach.
- For both men and women (and even if you aren’t size 14 or above) avoid front-pleated trousers if you have a tummy. Go for plain front pants instead.
- Go for structure in your clothing selections. This incorporates straight lines that balance out the roundness and creates a proportioned appearance.
- Make sure that jackets cover the derrier.
- In accessories focus on straight, long shapes in earrings and necklaces. Avoid short necklaces, rather ones that emphasize length. Scarves should be long and worn as such. For men, if you have a 17 or above neck size, buy the extra long ties.
- As I mentioned before proper fit is essential. Pants fit at the waistline which is around the navel, not down at your knees. Make sure that jackets and shirts give you ample ease in the armholes and in the chest. Pants should have enough ease that they aren’t pulling.
- And if you don’t have it – don’t flaunt it. Don’t try to wear mini-skirts and the season’s latest fashion’s must haves. Go with the classics, you will always be in fashion and others will perceive you as a confident affluent professional that you truly are.