Get Together After Work and Look Good!
So some of guys in various departments work are going to get together after work or over the weekend to watch a football game or go out on the town. What are you going to wear? One thing to remember is that you don’t want to overdo it dress wise or drink wise. It will just get the rumor mill churning at work. Here are some tips for what to wear:
- Consider khaki slack in fine cotton twills, double bleated or plain front. These go with anything all year long. You might also consider pant in an olive cotton twill to mix and match with your casual wardrobe.
- Crewneck or V-neck sweaters in cotton, acrylic, or wool in classic colors such as hunter green, navy, camel and gray. A soft yellow is also nice. Avoid baby blue.
- Try tartan plaid shirts in short or long sleeve, in blue, green or red and navy combinations. Button-down pinpoint oxford shirts in white, light blue, pink and cream (for some complexions) complete a shirt collection for outside the office.
- Try turtleneck or mock turtleneck tops, long or short sleeved and crew neck knit tops besides the classic polo style. If you choose 100 percent cotton consider the shrink factor when you pick the size. You don’t want to look like the incredible hulk busting out of his shirt when it’s worn.
- Slacks, in pinwale cotton corduroy or tropical-weight wool gabardine styles, in navy, charcoal gray, black and brown are nice as well as jeans in black for hitting the town at night.
- If you’re going to wear jeans don’t put on your favorite ones with the holes in the knees, have a nice pair for wearing out.
- Entertaining a client then you might want to put on a sport coat over your polo shirt, or sport shirt. A navy or black blazer can top most every pant possible. In Warmer climates consider raw silk or linen jackets in light tones such as crème, wheat and muted patterns.
- Make sure your shoes are in good condition whether they are cowboy boot or deck shoes. Cordovan, camel, or brown loafers (with or without the tassels) are good choices for evening. Forget the high-top sneakers.
- Make sure that if you wear pants that have belt loops that you wear a belt, whether they are jeans or otherwise.
- Just as important, make sure that the clothes you’re wearing for evening or for the daytime football game, fit. There is nothing worse then looking at a man that is in a pair of 32’s when he should be in a size 40. You never see the belt buckle. Key point: Pants are to be worn at the waist!!
- Forget the gold chain around the neck and on the wrist as well as the fancy watch. What it communicates is that all your money is on you and not in the bank.